Zion Memorial Chapel (New Hamburg, New York)

From Geopast Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Zion Memorial Chapel

Front (east) elevation and south profile, 2008

Location New Hamburg, NY, USA
41°35′18″N 73°56′58″W / 41.58833°N 73.94944°W / 41.58833; -73.94944
Loading map...
Basic information
Affiliation Episcopal Church
Year consecrated 1903
Ecclesiastical or organisational status active
Leadership The Rev. Astrid Joy Storm
Website St. Nicholas-on-the-Hudson
Architectural description
Architect(s) Edward Lansing Satterlee
Architectural type chapel
Architectural style Gothic Revival
General contractor William O'Rourke
Direction of façade east
Groundbreaking 1902
Added to NRHP: 1987
NRHP Reference No. 87000119

Zion Memorial Chapel, now known as St. Nicholas-on-the-Hudson, is an historic Carpenter Gothic style Episcopal church building located at 37 Point Street in New Hamburg, New York, United States. It was built in 1902 as a chapel of nearby Zion Church in Wappingers Falls and became a separate parish in 1983.

The small wooden church building overlooks the nearby Hudson River. It was built in the early 20th century in a late interpretation of the Gothic Revival architectural style. For that reason it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.

History

When the Zion Episcopal Church of Wappingers Falls was founded in 1876, its parish included nearby New Hamburg. Two of its congregants, William Henry Willis and his wife Adele Satterlee, pushed for the construction of the chapel around 1900 to serve residents in the latter community. Satterlee, who was also a close relative of Zion's rector, pushed for the church commission to be given to her nephew Edward Lansing Satterlee. Following President William McKinley's assassination in 1901, contributions to the building fund rose and it was decided to add "Memorial" to the chapel's name.

No significant alterations have been made to the building since it opened in 1902. It was maintained jointly by laypeople and clergy until 1983, when it became its own parish. As of 2008 its congregation has about 40–50 members. It is the only institutional building in New Hamburg still used for its original purpose.

External links

Wikipedia's W.svg This page is based on a Wikipedia article Zion Memorial Chapel (New Hamburg, New York)