St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (Hanover, Massachusetts)
|St. Andrew's Episcopal Church|
|Founder(s)||The Rev. Dr. Timothy Cutler|
|Events||Church proper destroyed by fire. (Later restored.)|
|Diocese||Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts|
|Rector||The Rev. Beth Wheatley Dyson|
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church is an historic church located in Hanover, Massachusetts. Originally founded in 1725 in what is now know as Norwell (an area then part of Scituate), it is one of the oldest parishes in the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts.
The first meeting of the parish took place on July 28, 1725 at the North Meeting House in Scituate after a group of townspeople invited the Rev. Dr. Timothy Cutler of Christ Church, Boston, to lead a service and preach. Between 1727 and 1731 regular meetings of the parish took place in a private house in Scituate, led by the resident minister of Christ Church, Quincy, the Rev. Ebenezer Miller. On October 11, 1731, Miller led a service to open the first church building in front of a congregation of 150. That wooden building, located about 1 mi from the present location, would serve as the parish's home until they moved to Hanover, which they did in 1811 after outgrowing the old church.
The first resident minister for the parish, the Rev. Addington Davenport, was appointed in 1733. Addington remained only until 1737, but upon leaving for his next appointment made a gift of 7 acre of land "with dwelling house, barn, and other buildings thereon." Proceeds from this gift would help fund the purchase of land and building of a rectory in 1849.
On November 6, 2011, the parish celebrated its bicentennial by displaying rare sermons and other artifacts, as well as a piano and organ concert and old church history stories.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (Hanover, Massachusetts)